The Biorefineries working group seeks to address research, development and innovation (RDI) challenges aimed at facilitating the transition from a fossil resource-based industry toward utilization of sustainable and renewable resources that provide an opportunity for economic growth and job creation across a value chain spanning from primary production to value-added processing in an economically and environmentally responsible manner.
The aim is to “develop and coordinate the implementation of biorefinery RDI priorities in support of a sustainable bio-based economy transition”.
- Assess bio-based product and market opportunities across IBF member countries
- Develop biorefinery roadmaps to support the broader biomass to product value chain
- Provide an understanding of the appropriate scale for a biorefinery depending on resource availability and location (distribute versus centralized biorefineries)
- Focus on piloting, demonstration and transfer of biorefinery technologies
- Promote inter- and multi-disciplinary RDI cooperation between IBF member countries across RDI value chain
- Establish international partnerships to leverage bilateral and multilateral resources, technologies and skills.
- Development of a roadmap
- Mapping of current bio-refineries
- RDI priority setting
- Cooperation and partnerships
Lead: South Africa
Industry and Environment Directorate, Department of Science and Innovation
Member Countries: Argentina, Canada, China, European Union, New Zealand